STX International Dehydra is a family-sized unit for big batches, with ten trays and 16 square feet of drying space. At this size it could serve commercial kitchens as well as households. You might find yourself putting out bowls of dried fruit at every gathering.
- Adjustable thermostat – this unit provides a robust 1200 watts of power that can be adjusted over a range of 95 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit. The higher end allows you to effectively dry meats for jerky, while the lower end will dehydrate fruits and vegetables while preserving healthy vitamins and enzymes
- Horizontal airflow – more even drying
- Control – a digital panel lets you control temperature and time, with a 12-hour shut off so you can just put it to work and walk away
- Stainless steel – even the trays are stainless, making this a rugged and easy-to-clean unit. It’s has the look and heft of an industrial appliance, so it should stand up well to the demands of the home kitchen
- Capacity in addition to the 10 trays and 16 square feet of space it has 3 drawer blanks that can be used for proving dough or additional drying. These drawers are removable and dishwasher-safe
- The silicon baking mats can withstand temps up to 500 Fahrenheit and make it easy to transfer foods to your oven for additional heating
- Drip Tray – catches all the exuded juices to help the interior of your STX International food dehydrator say clean. The drip tray also has an easy-clean surface
Capacity – You have to use it to appreciate just how much it can handle – enough to provide a small business or diner, so it wills serve even a large family well.
Design – Stainless steel and easy-clean components make this rugged, attractive, and easy to maintain. It looks and feels much more professional than some cheaper models, but is still stylish enough to look good in your kitchen.
Storage – if you don’t use if often, it’s easy to disassemble and reassemble, so you should have not problem tucking it away in a pantry or closet until you need it.
Cost – the Dehydra is actually larger and less expensive than most comparable professional-level food dehydrators.
Edges – Unfortunately the design is square rather than rounded, so that at 20+ pounds of weight, the edges can be sharp enough to cause abrasions or even cuts if they become rough or burred.
Noise – it can be loud, but that’s common with dehydrators running fans and heaters, and this is a larger model so expect more noise.
Reliability – there have been some reports of inaccurate temperatures or uneven heat, but this is rare, and the manufacturer offers excellent support.
The STX Dehydra is not an entry-level model for casual or experimental use. It’s a full-sized, powerful unit for dehydrating large batches in one shot. Considering it’s size (20″x17.5″x15″), it can get in the way if you don’t plan on using it regularly. It can also be loud in operation. However, serious jerky hobbyists or those with a need for drying a lot of fruits or veggies – such as those with a garden or fruit trees – will find it of great benefit. It’s large capacity, rugged design, and ease of use make it a welcome addition that can provide healthy snacks for your family and guests all year long.